Governor Akinwunmi Ambode has addressed Lagosians shortly after the National Working Committee of the All Progressives Congress (APC) confirmed the victory of Jide Sanwo-Olu as the winner of the primary election.
The election took place on Tuesday, October 2 in the state.
Although the NWC earlier denied the result of the election, it finally acknowledged that Sanwo-Olu would be the gubernatorial candidate of the party in 2019.
1. Dear Lagosians, APC is a great party and the interests of our beloved State must always supercede that of any person or group.
2. I wholeheartedly congratulate the winner of the Lagos State APC Primaries, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu and urge all Lagosians to immediately support our party’s gubernatorial candidate in the 2019 elections and work for the success of our dear party.
3. As Governor, I will do everything possible to ensure a smooth transition in the remaining period of this administration and ultimately to the new Governor, come May 2019.
4. I wish to use this opportunity to thank our national leader, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, and the leadership of our great party at state and national levels, all party faithfuls and all Lagosians.
5. I urge you not to relent in your support for our party as we prepare for the General Elections.
6. The progress of Lagos state is non-negotiable.
Ambode Campaign Organisation (ACO), in a statement, also denied report that the governor had withdrawn from the primary election.
It insisted that no election took place in the state, saying there were guidelines and procedures which the National Working Committee (NWC) had insisted must be followed in conducting a credible poll.